Although you may not believe it, just because you have a part time job you don’t mean you have give up benefits.
There are numerous part time jobs that have subsidized corporate discounts, retirement matching, vacation days that are paid, and health insurance coverage. You just need to know where to look.
1. Package handler: If you have an aversion to offices and a strong back you may get a lot of mileage out of unloading and loading packages at a UPS warehouse in one of the 90 cities that the shipping carrier serves. Although part timers must work at least 15 hours a week and wait 12 months prior to being eligible for benefits, the company offers reimbursement of tuition and will fully fund your health insurance premiums for those part timers who take the hard to fill shifts. The median wage is $11 to $12 per hour. . . . . . . . . .
2. Barista. Tully's Coffee offers some good benefits for part time workers who work in its Arizona, California, Idaho, Oregon, and Washington retail locations. Employees who put in a minimum of 17.5 hours are eligible for dental insurance, a limited health plan, a 401(k) savings, and sick pay, and a slew of discounts. On top of those benefits, workers who work a minimum of 24 hours a week are eligible for vacation and holiday, disability insurance, and medical insurance, including HSA and PPO offerings. The median wage is $8.45 per hour.
3. Test Prep Tutor. If you have some teaching experience and enjoy working with students, working as a private tutor or classroom instructor great way to parlay your skills into a part time job with health benefits and flexible hours. Companies such as Kaplan regularly hire tutors and instructors to guide adults and teens through the test preparation process, from the graduate schools to professional certification exams to the SATs. The median wage is $12.22 per hour. . . . . . . . . .
4. Customer Service Representative. If you happen to be person who’s good on the phone, working as a call center representative may be the job for you. As some of these jobs offer part time flexible shifts, more companies are hiring customer service representatives to work from their own homes. The median wage is $11.16 per hour. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
5. Computer Software Test/Quality Assurance Analyst. If you are you the person everyone comes to when their latest purchase of software has them confused you should put your technical expertise to work. Companies who sell software are notorious for their generous benefits and flexible schedules. It is likely that these positions will require programming experience or a 2 year or 4 year degree in computing. The median wage is $18.84 per hour.